Suggestions? Add an issue in GitHub
Interested in homelessness? Wondering about getting involved? Why not try this?
If you get involved just to find out more about homelessness that would be great. If you would like to do more it doesn’t really matter how much time you can spare or what skills and experience you can offer - there will be a team that would love to have your support and encouragement and you will probably learn something new.
There are conversations going on in social media and #homelesshack in twitter has become a kind of community notice board to share information and ask for help.
Events are fun, motivating and a great way to get a lot of information in a short space of time. Events are being organised around the country and it would be great to see more of different shapes and sizes in more places.
Small groups are organising events or trying out new ideas. We have provided links to most of these. If you are not sure how to help feel free to contact the team directly.
Projects in progress
- Better matching of volunteer supply and demand
- Mining and analysing data on housing benefit rates and actual rents
- Research on building conversations and relationships
- Prototyping street furniture to help people meet and engage
- Safe space knowledge for frontline police officers
Manchester projects (underway):
- Mapping the landscape to understand the best path for individuals at risk
- Connecting charities together through social media to jointly fund and raise awareness
- Deciphering root causes to aid prevention through understanding real stories and risks
- Platform to connection spares rooms and loving homes with vulnerable people
- Ways to inform the appropriate organisations that someone needs help before alerting the police
- Setting up a GitHub repository to help Simon on the Streets (a local homelessness charity) run more efficiently
- Designing a leaflet to educate the public on how they can help homeless people on the street
- Using data to provide personalised interventions to prevent homelessness before it happens
- Using Twitter to toggle publicised availability of charity services
- Stop homeless people having to give their life story for every service they try to access
Manchester (On-going events)
Regular Raising Bee events each month
Homelesshack Oxford: why we’ve cancelled it (for now at least)
More to come soon
Leeds 21st - 22nd July 2017
Write-up, contacts and code
East London 8th July 2017
Manchester 30th June - 1st July 2017
Manchester Session Grid
London 23rd - 24th June 2017
London Session Grid
Archive of 2012
Slack channel for Manchester event
Manchester Homeless Hack - Challenges
Manchester Homeless Hack - data sources
Manchester Homeless Hack - Insights Trello Board
Folder for write ups
Some hints and tips to get started with prototypes
London Insights Trello board
London - Data sources and data ideas
GitHub repositories Contact one of the owners for access.
Trello board for rent data mining
Join in the conversation
Powered by flickr embed.